I found an interesting article in the net about the Philippines’ official representative to football- Team Azkals. Here’s an excerpt why it was name as such:
1. It refers partly to the color the team play in—azure—in a way that a number of other teams do (i.e. “the blues”)
2. It is a unique mixture of askal with azure.
3. It is not strict Tagalog (and is) more Filipino belonging to all Filipinos.
4. It refers to a pack or team, not an individual.
5. Mongrels are known to fight best as a pack (team).
6. Not many people could claim to be pure-blooded Filipinos, so the references to mixed lineage are also fitting (same with host countries, if we are honest).
7. Askals are common throughout the Philippines as we wish football to be.
8. So-called “pure breed” dogs tend to be more susceptible to genetic weaknesses.
9. Purebreds tend to be more predictable by nature and in football you do not want to be too predictable.
10. Translated into American-English, it would be “mutt,” which is often an affectionate term.
11. Filipinos and non-Filipinos know the name, and to change it now would be like giving a beautiful girl a facelift she does not need!
12. The name is starting to be feared by other national teams.
13. A German study found that “mongrels require less veterinary treatment,” and health care in the Philippines is expensive.
14. Mutts live longer than purebreds and we want our players to have long careers.
To have a full read of the article, please click this >>>Villaflor: Craig’s list (Explaining the Azkals anew)